Skip to main content

Broad Street Run - race #4

    The night before the Broad Street Run, I always ask myself the same three questions, why am I doing, why am I doing this and finally, why am I doing this!?!  Back up two months ago and I was just relieved that I was able to register.  Luckily my soon to be sister-in-law Kathy was able to sign me up, as she competed against the 40,000 other frustrated runners trying to get a spot in the nation's largest 10-mile race.  If you don't like crowds, this race is definitely for you.  Since then I've been working out usually five times a week, cycling, swimming and Zumba, but I hadn't increased my running mileage much.  But I always think, the route is straight and slightly downhill, no problem.
     But when I woke up at 5:40 a.m. on May 6, I had that nervous, public speaking-feeling that actually seems to help me run better.  Though it was a nightmare for many to get down to the starting line, I was lucky to join the "Beauty of the Bus."  For the past three years, a group of Havertown residents have rented school buses to take them to the race.  Arriving at about 7:45, the football field at Central High School was packed and I tried to stay warm I waited 35 minutes for the lovely Porta Potties.  It felt a little "Lord of the Flies" as new lines started forming and runners became agitated, but eventually I made it and soon set off to find the "Yellow Corral."
     Even though I didn't know anyone, it's easy to talk to people around you to help pass the time till the "alleged" 8:30 a.m. start.  Two women, in their mid-50s, were fairly new to the race.  One of the women said she had run the race last year, and the other woman said this was her first race and she might walk some of it.  I definitely wouldn't recommend Broad Street as your first race.  At 9:05 we finally started, and as I ran over the starting line I could hear "Gonna Fly Now" from "Rocky" blaring from the speakers.  That's when I remember why I like this race.  The music gives me chills and knowing that I'm about to run through the heart of Philly, all the way to the Navy Yard, is just awesome.
     Starting down the road, I just try to take it all in, the people waving, the buildings and the other runners.  The weather is amazing for running, cloudy with temps in the upper 50s.  By the time I hit Mile 3, I run over a timer which should send a text message to Kevin letting him know my time (it didn't work though).  Reaching Temple University, I scanned the crowds to see people I know in the school's marching band.  I'm more than half-way there when I circle around City Hall and I'm now down the homestretch.  There didn't seem to be as many bands as last year, but the crowds were still huge and you can never get enough cow bell.
     I'm feeling good with tons of energy as a I reach Mile 7, but my feet are starting to hurt.  I wait until Mile 8 to pause a little for Gatorade, I try to push it a little bit harder towards the finish line.  Crossing underneath the Navy Yard arch, I hear someone scream "AMY" and I looked to my left and see Kevin, Mike and my mom!  Over 40,000 runners and they spotted me!  I dig down and start running with whatever I have left to the finish.  Though I really thought I was faster than last year, I clock in with a 1:45:31, a minute slower than last year but still faster than my first year's time of 1:49:18.
     After the race, I find some of my friends who also ran.  For some reason, walking the mile-and-a-half to the car seems sooo much harder than running 10 miles!  I'm happy, but I know I can do better and hopefully drop down to a 1:40 in 2013.
     Grading on the route, ease and cost of registration, T-shirt appeal and the overall fun factor I give this race four sneakers out of five.  I think registering and picking up my bib was more difficult than running 10 miles.
     Next up is the Make a Wish 5K at Aronimink Elementary School in Drexel Hill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming on in honor of Coach Rick Field

I thought of swimming as a solitary activity. The rhythmic breathing, 18-20 strokes to the wall, flip turn, repeat, blocking out all sound and sights and just following the black line. Other than being a part of my high school swim team, which I had joined because my friend Tara encouraged me, I’ve been swimming laps by myself for more than 20 years.  Coach Rick I was in the pool at Rocky Run Y several years ago, when Rick Field walked over and told me my right hand was entering the water too far to the side. I had met Rick in 2011, when he first started as a swim coach and teacher at the Y. I didn’t know what to make of him at first, he seemed loud and maybe a bit pushy, but he grew on me and I saw how much he cared for his swimmers to succeed. The Cedar Island 5K So in November 2019, after many years of asking me to join his swim workouts, I broke away from the solitary swim life to be part of a team again. Every Sunday from 7-8:30 a.m., our swim group would try our best following

Blue Marsh National Recreation Area in Reading

The idea of swimming outdoors in a lake in November sounded amazing, so on a warm & muggy fall day I headed to Blue Marsh Lake in Reading to meet my friend Kari.   It started to rain during the 80-minute drive with Kevin & our pup Georgie & I was thinking, "why am I jumping into a lake?" But it was still warm & in the 70s, so I'll just deal with the lake temps.  

San Diego Sharkfest Swim

The dream of swimming one last open water race this year was just too hard to resist! So with about a week's notice, I registered for a race, booked a hotel and bought airfare to perpetually sunny southern California for the one-mile  San Diego Sharkfest Swim on Oct. 13. With a three-day weekend coming up, and the fact that Kevin and I have never been to San Diego, the race was a perfect time and place for a new adventure.     After three days of touring museums, ships, Balboa Park , walking around both the city and Old Town and kayaking in La Jolla and experiencing a trolley tour, I was excited/anxious to swim on Sunday. Walking from our hotel to the start, which was behind the San Diego Convention Center, I noticed a lot of people were wearing wet suits, which made me a little nervous. But the race director, a former champion open water swimmer, joked and told the crowd that they were "wussies" and warned that those who looked to be struggling would be pulled from