Skip to main content

Ridley Run - race #2


     Waking up at 6:20 a.m. last Saturday, April 9 I felt pumped up!  It was a cool 49 degrees and overcast, but it wasn't raining and that's all I cared about.  Kevin picked me up & we headed to Ridley High School for the 10th annual Ridley Run 5K.  The event benefited the Community YMCA's support campaign and the Ridley Educational Foundation.  See photos & videos at http://tinyurl.com/3c7geq4.   
     Jumping up and down to stay warm while we stood outside the high school for a bus to the Ridley YMCA, I was excited because this was my first time taking part in the Ridley race, Kevin was running with me &  it was a point-to-point run.  While waiting in line, we were joined by Kevin's sister Kathy who decided to run about six hours before the race.  Wonderful surprise!  The buses were well-organized & we made it to the YMCA with plenty of time before the 8 a.m. start.
     Waiting in the Y's lobby, we were surprised to see another familiar face, Kevin's friend Paul who signed up for the race the day before.  Even though I run most races by myself, it makes the runs a lot more fun & less anxiety-filled to have friends with you.  Lining up in the parking lot, we heard the start & off we went, turning left onto South Avenue.  Running down the yellow line of a normally busy street always amazes me, because if it wasn't for the nice policeman blocking traffic many of these drivers would probably vocalize the frustration that was painted on their faces.
     Heading right onto Academy Avenue, we weaved through the quiet streets of Ridley.  I love the early morning runs because it just seems so peaceful out & the hectic pace of the day hasn't started yet for most people.  Puddles of water from the previous day's downpour, made the race more adventurous as the runners hoped over the mini ponds.  At several stops, cute kids waved handmade posters that said, "Go Mommy Go" and "We love Dad!"  Turning back onto Academy Avenue, we ran pass the Ridley Township Swim Club, over Route 420 & up the first slight incline of the race.  I looked to my left & saw the bright, neon sign of Nifty Fifty's.  Since I wasn't very familiar with route, the sign was like my own North Star telling me the high school wasn't too far away.  It felt like a fast course & it was great to see that there were time clocks at the 1 and 2-mile points.  Our first mile was just over the 10-minute mark, and I was excited to see our pace time drop by more than a minute by the time we reached 2-miles.   
     Breaking right onto Edgewood Avenue, we passed a tiny stream before heading left onto 6th Avenue.  The volunteers along the way were great & offered words of encouragement & helped block drivers from crossing into the runners.  Turning right onto Morton Avenue we reached the high school, but to Kevin's disappointment is wasn't the end of the race just yet.  We continued on to the back of the school and ran one lap around the track.  It was a fun way to end the race.  Though I was disappointed me with my time again, 31:05, I felt strong at the end, I had great running companions & my mom was there:-)  It was just 8:40 a.m. on a Saturday, & to celebrate the race we headed to Nifty Fifty's for breakfast.  Best cheese omelet!
     This Sunday is the MS Run at Ridley Creek State Park.  I've done the Bike 4 Sight ride several times at the park, but never a race.  I'm ready to try some trail running!
      
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming on in honor of Coach Rick Field

I thought of swimming as a solitary activity. The rhythmic breathing, 18-20 strokes to the wall, flip turn, repeat, blocking out all sound and sights and just following the black line. Other than being a part of my high school swim team, which I had joined because my friend Tara encouraged me, I’ve been swimming laps by myself for more than 20 years.  Coach Rick I was in the pool at Rocky Run Y several years ago, when Rick Field walked over and told me my right hand was entering the water too far to the side. I had met Rick in 2011, when he first started as a swim coach and teacher at the Y. I didn’t know what to make of him at first, he seemed loud and maybe a bit pushy, but he grew on me and I saw how much he cared for his swimmers to succeed. The Cedar Island 5K So in November 2019, after many years of asking me to join his swim workouts, I broke away from the solitary swim life to be part of a team again. Every Sunday from 7-8:30 a.m., our swim group would try our best following

Blue Marsh National Recreation Area in Reading

The idea of swimming outdoors in a lake in November sounded amazing, so on a warm & muggy fall day I headed to Blue Marsh Lake in Reading to meet my friend Kari.   It started to rain during the 80-minute drive with Kevin & our pup Georgie & I was thinking, "why am I jumping into a lake?" But it was still warm & in the 70s, so I'll just deal with the lake temps.  

San Diego Sharkfest Swim

The dream of swimming one last open water race this year was just too hard to resist! So with about a week's notice, I registered for a race, booked a hotel and bought airfare to perpetually sunny southern California for the one-mile  San Diego Sharkfest Swim on Oct. 13. With a three-day weekend coming up, and the fact that Kevin and I have never been to San Diego, the race was a perfect time and place for a new adventure.     After three days of touring museums, ships, Balboa Park , walking around both the city and Old Town and kayaking in La Jolla and experiencing a trolley tour, I was excited/anxious to swim on Sunday. Walking from our hotel to the start, which was behind the San Diego Convention Center, I noticed a lot of people were wearing wet suits, which made me a little nervous. But the race director, a former champion open water swimmer, joked and told the crowd that they were "wussies" and warned that those who looked to be struggling would be pulled from