Skip to main content

Cure for the Kids at Aronimink School - race #4

     Waking up and hearing rain steadily ping off my roof I thought, "today's race might really stink." But it actually turned out to be a great, adventurous run.  I ran the Cure for the Kids 5K on April 23 at Aronimink Elementary School in Drexel Hill. Sarah Mergliano, an Upper Darby High School student, organized the race (read more about it at http://tinyurl.com/43fg4u2).  Mergliano's parents were both on hand to help out and her dad, an avid runner, also took part in the race.  All the proceeds benefited Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
     Arriving at the school, it was about 50 degrees with light rain.  It was a small crowd due to the bad weather, but it was great to see the dozens of people who came out to show their support.  Under a tent a DJ played music and volunteers helped at the registration table.  Talking with other runners, some actually said they preferred racing the rain. I never thought I would, but it kept me cool and my face didn't resemble a tomato once I crossed the finish line.
     Once we heard the start, our small pack headed out of the parking lot and onto Roberts Lane.  Weaving up and down the quiet, tree-lined residential streets, race volunteers helped guide us at most of the turns.  Crossing onto Burmont Road, I kept pace with several runners as we circled Aronimink and back to Roberts before turning right onto Marvine Avenue.  That's when the hills appeared.  At the time, all I can think is that I should run in New Jersey or the Mid-West, any place where it's flat!  But I shouldn't complain because after four races, I felt more in shape and better prepared to face these mini mountains. 
     Making a left on Mansion Road, I headed downhill and saw the turnaround point at Cedar Avenue.  Heading back I broke my perfect record for puddle-jumping (10-0), when my right foot landed right in the middle of a pothole.  After re-tying my shoe, which had somehow magically become unlaced, I heaved my soggy right foot uphill.  Over to my right I spotted a quaint little springhouse.  The rain had slowed down significantly, and after a few more twists and turns, and one more lap around the school, I crossed the finish line.
     Clocking it with a time of 29:28, made it my best finish so far this season and I won my age division!  Though, I do have to say thank you to all the 30-39 year old ladies out there who decided to sit this race out, allowing me to be sole competitor;-)  I'll have to run more races in the rain.  Wearing a soaked baseball cat, a red raincoat and one saturated shoe it wasn't a pretty but I felt tougher.
     Next up is my longest race of the season, the Broad Street Run this Sunday.  The 10-mile route takes you from Central High School, pass Temple University, around City Hall, near the sports stadiums and ends at the Navy Yard.  And guess what?  It's a flat course!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming on in honor of Coach Rick Field

I thought of swimming as a solitary activity. The rhythmic breathing, 18-20 strokes to the wall, flip turn, repeat, blocking out all sound and sights and just following the black line. Other than being a part of my high school swim team, which I had joined because my friend Tara encouraged me, I’ve been swimming laps by myself for more than 20 years.  Coach Rick I was in the pool at Rocky Run Y several years ago, when Rick Field walked over and told me my right hand was entering the water too far to the side. I had met Rick in 2011, when he first started as a swim coach and teacher at the Y. I didn’t know what to make of him at first, he seemed loud and maybe a bit pushy, but he grew on me and I saw how much he cared for his swimmers to succeed. The Cedar Island 5K So in November 2019, after many years of asking me to join his swim workouts, I broke away from the solitary swim life to be part of a team again. Every Sunday from 7-8:30 a.m., our swim group would try our best following

Blue Marsh National Recreation Area in Reading

The idea of swimming outdoors in a lake in November sounded amazing, so on a warm & muggy fall day I headed to Blue Marsh Lake in Reading to meet my friend Kari.   It started to rain during the 80-minute drive with Kevin & our pup Georgie & I was thinking, "why am I jumping into a lake?" But it was still warm & in the 70s, so I'll just deal with the lake temps.  

San Diego Sharkfest Swim

The dream of swimming one last open water race this year was just too hard to resist! So with about a week's notice, I registered for a race, booked a hotel and bought airfare to perpetually sunny southern California for the one-mile  San Diego Sharkfest Swim on Oct. 13. With a three-day weekend coming up, and the fact that Kevin and I have never been to San Diego, the race was a perfect time and place for a new adventure.     After three days of touring museums, ships, Balboa Park , walking around both the city and Old Town and kayaking in La Jolla and experiencing a trolley tour, I was excited/anxious to swim on Sunday. Walking from our hotel to the start, which was behind the San Diego Convention Center, I noticed a lot of people were wearing wet suits, which made me a little nervous. But the race director, a former champion open water swimmer, joked and told the crowd that they were "wussies" and warned that those who looked to be struggling would be pulled from