Skip to main content

Steelman Racing Endless Summer Swim

   As I carefully stepped into the comfortable and calm water of Lake Nockamixon on Aug. 9, the anxiety I felt participating in my first race since January quickly faded away.

   When my friend Kari mentioned the Steelman Racing Endless Summer Swim about six weeks ago, I had only recently started swimming laps again. 

   When I swam with my Rocky Run Y Sunday morning workout group on March 8, I would have never imagined that it would be the last time for months. That's because the Y would close from March 14 until June 29 due to Covid-19. But I thought this race would encourage me to practice more & it would be nice to compete again since so much has been canceled these last few months.

   A few days before the race, swimmers received an Athlete Guide with all the precautions in place to keep everyone safe. But I have to admit, it made me nervous. I wondered if the race was worth it with all the new guidelines? Would it be fun? Would people follow the rules? But by the night before the event, I was excited to swim my first open water event in nearly a year.

   A bit over an hour from Delaware County, Nockamixon State Park in Bucks County is home to a beautiful 1,450-acre lake. Arriving around 8:30 a.m., my wonderful husband Kevin & I stopped at the curbside pick-up to get my race bag which included a yellow swim cap, a timing chip, two tags with their race number on them & a disposal face mask. We parked the car & watched as the three-mile swimmers navigated their way, in the humid morning fog, around the off-center one-mile "T" shaped course. 

   Due to the rolling start to ensure social distancing at the event, all athletes were assigned to a group, so the two-mile swimmers in Group C (like myself) waited in their cars until we were heard on the loudspeakers to report to Bag Drop. This was a well-run event, even with the additional pressures during this pandemic. Wearing my disposable mask, a volunteer took my temperature & I dropped off my bag (which included my reusable mask, flip flops & towel) before heading to the starting chute at the Tohickon Boat Launch. Standing six-feet apart, I slowly made my way to the front, threw away my mask, stepped into the lake & started to swim!

   It tastes like dirt! Not a bad taste, but I'm used to swimming in the bay & getting pummeled by saltwater swells. The course was difficult to navigate in the fog, so I used my fellow swimmers' yellow swim caps as guides. I took a breath every three strokes and stopped to sight my direction about every four cycles. By the second lap the swimmers were really spaced apart, so I relied on the many friendly & helpful volunteer kayakers & stand up paddleboarders for directions to the buoys. The fog lifted by lap two, & here I was swimming by myself in a lake on a beautiful, sunny morning. It made me think of my dad, who passed away of Covid in May, and how much he loved being by the water. I felt calm & relaxed as I swam the top of the "T," & I definitely did not miss being kicked/smacked by other swimmers. I headed to the finish line & as I walked onto the shore I was happy with my time of 1:13:34.

   For the first time in five months, I chatted in person with my fellow open water swimmers, the Rocky Run Creek Rats, Elgin, Kari, Todd & Kyle, who also swam the race. We compared notes, & learned I missed the osprey, herons & the snake they spotted. Even though there were no hugs, & we stood six-feet apart from each other, it was nice to see everyone & talk swimming again. And an added bonus was I made the podium with Kari! For the two-mile race, she finished second & I placed third. 

   Dave Michener, the race director for Steelman Racing, conducted a well organized race with a strong group of volunteers. It felt great to be back in open water & feel a bit of normalcy again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming on in honor of Coach Rick Field

I thought of swimming as a solitary activity. The rhythmic breathing, 18-20 strokes to the wall, flip turn, repeat, blocking out all sound and sights and just following the black line. Other than being a part of my high school swim team, which I had joined because my friend Tara encouraged me, I’ve been swimming laps by myself for more than 20 years.  Coach Rick I was in the pool at Rocky Run Y several years ago, when Rick Field walked over and told me my right hand was entering the water too far to the side. I had met Rick in 2011, when he first started as a swim coach and teacher at the Y. I didn’t know what to make of him at first, he seemed loud and maybe a bit pushy, but he grew on me and I saw how much he cared for his swimmers to succeed. The Cedar Island 5K So in November 2019, after many years of asking me to join his swim workouts, I broke away from the solitary swim life to be part of a team again. Every Sunday from 7-8:30 a.m., our swim group would try our best following

Blue Marsh National Recreation Area in Reading

The idea of swimming outdoors in a lake in November sounded amazing, so on a warm & muggy fall day I headed to Blue Marsh Lake in Reading to meet my friend Kari.   It started to rain during the 80-minute drive with Kevin & our pup Georgie & I was thinking, "why am I jumping into a lake?" But it was still warm & in the 70s, so I'll just deal with the lake temps.  

San Diego Sharkfest Swim

The dream of swimming one last open water race this year was just too hard to resist! So with about a week's notice, I registered for a race, booked a hotel and bought airfare to perpetually sunny southern California for the one-mile  San Diego Sharkfest Swim on Oct. 13. With a three-day weekend coming up, and the fact that Kevin and I have never been to San Diego, the race was a perfect time and place for a new adventure.     After three days of touring museums, ships, Balboa Park , walking around both the city and Old Town and kayaking in La Jolla and experiencing a trolley tour, I was excited/anxious to swim on Sunday. Walking from our hotel to the start, which was behind the San Diego Convention Center, I noticed a lot of people were wearing wet suits, which made me a little nervous. But the race director, a former champion open water swimmer, joked and told the crowd that they were "wussies" and warned that those who looked to be struggling would be pulled from