Skip to main content

Winter Pickle Run Trail Race at Ridley Creek State Park

As the first snow of the season steadily fell, about 60 hearty runners raced through the stark forests of Ridley Creek State Park on Jan. 18 for the 13th annual Winter Pickle Run Trail Race. The winter, with its bone-chilling winds and cloudy skies, may make you want to hibernate in your warm and cozy house. But for some people, and especially runners, being outdoors during the cold months can be the best time of year.

Driving through the 2,600-acre state park, I was amazed at how quiet and peaceful it seemed without the crowds of people who typically enjoy the area's many recreational activities in the warmer months. The idea of creating running events during the winter, which were once practically non-existent, started more than a decade ago. Local runner Tim Krueger explained that back then his running "was in a pickle," so after a party and a few beers the "Pickle Run" idea was born. I've always wanted to try this race, so last month I signed up to become a Pickler!

As we entered the park, most of the cars were headed to Section 17 for the start of the races which also included a 5K road course. After a few instructions (no timing devices allowed because it was a prediction run) and some jokes about the Houston Astros from a man dressed in a pickle costume, we all lined up on the paved Forge Road Trail for the start. My cheering squad of my always supportive husband Kevin and our pup Georgia May (sporting her Christmas sweater), were two of the only spectators on this snowy morning. After about a quarter-mile on the road, most of the runners made a right into the woods and onto the White Trail. 

The majority of the course was flat and slightly downhill (except one hill that I had to walk), but the real challenge was navigating obstacles such as the tree roots, downed trees and rocks lining the snow cushioned trails. Other than turning my ankle once and windmilling my arms a few times to keep from wiping out, I felt it was one of my best runs. And with the relaxed atmosphere, there's was more camaraderie amongst the runners as we offered words of encouragement to each other.

Luckily I could always see someone in front of me and could hear someone behind me, because otherwise I might still be wandering around in the woods. I think I was eventually on the Yellow Trail, but honestly I have no idea. I was also looking for the hidden pickles along the route, but alas I came up empty.
  
With the snow falling heavier, I sprinted to the finish line of this 3.5ish-mile trail run with a time of 44:28, about six minutes slower than my prediction. What a great way to experience the outdoors in the winter! Grading on the route, ease and cost of registration (which was $17 after a coupon), T-shirt appeal (a white long-sleeve T-shirt with a running pickle) and overall fun factor I give this race five sneakers out of five.





  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming on in honor of Coach Rick Field

I thought of swimming as a solitary activity. The rhythmic breathing, 18-20 strokes to the wall, flip turn, repeat, blocking out all sound and sights and just following the black line. Other than being a part of my high school swim team, which I had joined because my friend Tara encouraged me, I’ve been swimming laps by myself for more than 20 years.  Coach Rick I was in the pool at Rocky Run Y several years ago, when Rick Field walked over and told me my right hand was entering the water too far to the side. I had met Rick in 2011, when he first started as a swim coach and teacher at the Y. I didn’t know what to make of him at first, he seemed loud and maybe a bit pushy, but he grew on me and I saw how much he cared for his swimmers to succeed. The Cedar Island 5K So in November 2019, after many years of asking me to join his swim workouts, I broke away from the solitary swim life to be part of a team again. Every Sunday from 7-8:30 a.m., our swim group would try our best following

Blue Marsh National Recreation Area in Reading

The idea of swimming outdoors in a lake in November sounded amazing, so on a warm & muggy fall day I headed to Blue Marsh Lake in Reading to meet my friend Kari.   It started to rain during the 80-minute drive with Kevin & our pup Georgie & I was thinking, "why am I jumping into a lake?" But it was still warm & in the 70s, so I'll just deal with the lake temps.  

San Diego Sharkfest Swim

The dream of swimming one last open water race this year was just too hard to resist! So with about a week's notice, I registered for a race, booked a hotel and bought airfare to perpetually sunny southern California for the one-mile  San Diego Sharkfest Swim on Oct. 13. With a three-day weekend coming up, and the fact that Kevin and I have never been to San Diego, the race was a perfect time and place for a new adventure.     After three days of touring museums, ships, Balboa Park , walking around both the city and Old Town and kayaking in La Jolla and experiencing a trolley tour, I was excited/anxious to swim on Sunday. Walking from our hotel to the start, which was behind the San Diego Convention Center, I noticed a lot of people were wearing wet suits, which made me a little nervous. But the race director, a former champion open water swimmer, joked and told the crowd that they were "wussies" and warned that those who looked to be struggling would be pulled from