Skip to main content

Nicole Gallo Sunshine & Bubbles 5K in Drexel Hill

     You might not think that many runners would race on a rainy, windy, cold Sunday afternoon.  But hundreds did at the first annual Nicole Gallo Sunshine & Bubbles 5K on March 30.  The race benefited the Nicole Gallo Sunshine Scholarship, which helps girls continue their Catholic education.  Registration was $25, which is the average for 5Ks now.  Try & register by mail & you'll save the $3 fee that online sites like Run The Day charge.
     Arriving at Monsignor Bonner Archbishop Prendergast High School, I was impressed by the dedication shown by the friends and family of Gallo, a Prendie grad who was struck and killed by a distracted driver in 2009.  The name of the race is just so sweet.
     With light rain falling on our heads, Kevin & I lined up next to Delaware County Memorial Hospital.  At the sound of the gun, we took off across Lansdowne Ave., made a left on Argyle Ave. before turning onto Winding Way.  With markers & volunteers along the way, the route was very well marked.  After a left on Fairfax Road, we headed to Hillcrest Road & along the trolley tracks.  Though at first I was disappointed by the rainy weather, it was actually cool & refreshing once I started running.
     Curving right onto Foss Ave., we passed St. Andrew's Church where we ran the Spirit Run last October.  After a right on Highland Ave. & a right on Shadeland Ave. (where the wind & rain started to pick up at mile two) we headed to the straightaway of Huey Ave.  After a quick change in direction towards Arlington Cemetery, where some students played "Happy" from their car, we got back on Huey and headed towards the finish line.  Racing towards the finish line near Lansdowne Ave. & Garrett Road, I felt good & not as worn down as some other races.  With a time of 29:05, I was happy with my first run of the season.  
     I've done about a dozen runs in this section of Drexel Hill & it's a great area for races.  Hills are few & the streets feel like you're running through an even grid.  Grading on the route, ease and cost of registration, T-shirt appeal and the overall fun factor I give this race four sneakers out of five.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming on in honor of Coach Rick Field

I thought of swimming as a solitary activity. The rhythmic breathing, 18-20 strokes to the wall, flip turn, repeat, blocking out all sound and sights and just following the black line. Other than being a part of my high school swim team, which I had joined because my friend Tara encouraged me, I’ve been swimming laps by myself for more than 20 years.  Coach Rick I was in the pool at Rocky Run Y several years ago, when Rick Field walked over and told me my right hand was entering the water too far to the side. I had met Rick in 2011, when he first started as a swim coach and teacher at the Y. I didn’t know what to make of him at first, he seemed loud and maybe a bit pushy, but he grew on me and I saw how much he cared for his swimmers to succeed. The Cedar Island 5K So in November 2019, after many years of asking me to join his swim workouts, I broke away from the solitary swim life to be part of a team again. Every Sunday from 7-8:30 a.m., our swim group would try our best following

Blue Marsh National Recreation Area in Reading

The idea of swimming outdoors in a lake in November sounded amazing, so on a warm & muggy fall day I headed to Blue Marsh Lake in Reading to meet my friend Kari.   It started to rain during the 80-minute drive with Kevin & our pup Georgie & I was thinking, "why am I jumping into a lake?" But it was still warm & in the 70s, so I'll just deal with the lake temps.  

San Diego Sharkfest Swim

The dream of swimming one last open water race this year was just too hard to resist! So with about a week's notice, I registered for a race, booked a hotel and bought airfare to perpetually sunny southern California for the one-mile  San Diego Sharkfest Swim on Oct. 13. With a three-day weekend coming up, and the fact that Kevin and I have never been to San Diego, the race was a perfect time and place for a new adventure.     After three days of touring museums, ships, Balboa Park , walking around both the city and Old Town and kayaking in La Jolla and experiencing a trolley tour, I was excited/anxious to swim on Sunday. Walking from our hotel to the start, which was behind the San Diego Convention Center, I noticed a lot of people were wearing wet suits, which made me a little nervous. But the race director, a former champion open water swimmer, joked and told the crowd that they were "wussies" and warned that those who looked to be struggling would be pulled from